On a Wednesday night in February 1918, a number of Masonic Brethren, who had been members of Lodges under Scottish Constitution but now unattached in Australia, were invited to a meeting held by Lodge Ionic (Number 802, Scottish Constitution) at the Alice Street Masonic Temple. They enjoyed this so much that on the way home, along the dusty road from the tram terminus at Kedron Park, seven of the brethren who comprised this party, discussed the meeting at length. They decided to do something about forming a lodge in the Kedron district.
Accordingly, a meeting was held by the seven Brethren concerned on the Friday night following in Bro A. S. Dewar's workshop in Edinburgh Castle Road, Kedron. Unfortunately, no records of this meeting were kept but we are told that the meeting was properly tyled and at the conclusion it was decided to call another meeting for the following Friday night. It was proposed to invite Brethren of other lodges, living in the district, and other unattached Brethren to attend. The result was that twenty-nine brethren turned up. This time minutes were taken. Unfortunately as these things go, all minutes up to 3rd April, 1936 and Attendance Books up to 5th February, 1932 have been lost. To fill in this period, we have been indebted to a number of documents, including Scotia History written in 1939, The Centennial Story, and personal recollections of some of our older Brethren. At this second meeting, a Chairman, Secretary and Tyler were elected. The name of the Lodge, Scotia, was decided by ballot from the three names submitted. These were Scotia, Kedron and Happy Valley. It was agreed that the colour of the apron be sky blue.
Editor's comments: Story has it, that the lodge took its name from a local tannery named Scotia which was owned by the Gibson family. It was also the name of a Masonic Temple in Glasgow. As for the sky blue apron being chosen by a Scottish lodge, we are led to believe it was a compromise because the members at the time could not agree on a tartan.
It was also agreed, that the foundation fee be £2.2.0 ($4.20) and the annual fees be £1.1.0 ($2.10), payable in advance. It was agreed that the Lodge meet in the Presbyterian Church Hall, Richmond Street, Kedron.
Meetings were then held weekly. At one of these a petition to open a lodge at Kedron was signed by the twenty-nine foundation members. This was endorsed by the Masters and Wardens of Lodge Hope (1134 S.C., now Kaye 234 U.G.L.Q.), meeting in St. Colombo Hall, Sandgate Road, Clayfield and Lodge Aberleigh (1133 S.C.) meeting in the Oddfellows Hall, Parker Street, Newmarket. This petition was forwarded to the District Grand Lodge of Scotland in Queensland which granted a dispensation to open a lodge at Kedron and work as Scotia until the charter arrived from Scotland. The date set for the consecration of the lodge and installation of foundation officers was 20th July, 1918.
Accordingly, many and great preparations were carried out. As the church hall was to be in constant use, a marquee was erected in the church grounds, in which to hold firstly the dinner and later the banquet.
The ceremony of consecration was carried out by the District Grand Master of Scotland in Queensland Rt. Wor. Bro. T. S. Burstow assisted by Grand Lodge Officers. The ceremony started at 4:00 p.m. The lodge was adjourned at 5.30p.m. and sixty-nine brethren sat down to dinner. The District Grand Master called the brethren from refreshment to labour at 6.30p.m. and invited the following officers to open a Lodge prior to the installation:
Worshipful Master: Wor. Bro. Wedd (Aberleigh)
Senior Warden: Wor. Bro. Lade (Aberleigh)
Junior Warden: Wor. Bro. Godbolt (Aberleigh)
Senior Deacon: Bro. McGaw (Hope)
Junior Deacon: Bro. Opie (Hope)
Inner Guard: Bro. Gibson (Hope)
Tyler: Bro. Andrew (Ionic)
The District Grand Master of Scotland and his officers then entered the lodge room and took up their respective positions. The Deputy Grand Master charged the brethren of Lodge Scotia to fully realise their responsibility and asked if there were any objections to the newly elected Worshipful Master. There being no objections, he proceeded with the first installation of Lodge Scotia (Number 1176 S.C.). At the conclusion of the installation ceremony, four propositions were made and read and lodge was closed in due and antient form. The 169 Brethren present then proceeded to the banquet in the marquee.
The original charter for Lodge Scotia was signed in Edinburgh at Freemasons Hall on 6th February, 1919 by the following;
Grand Master Mason of Scotland
Rt. Wor. Past Grand Master
Rt. Wor. Grand Master Depute
Rt. Wor. Substitute Grand Master,
Rt. Wor. Senior Grand Warden
Rt. Wor. Junior Grand Warden and
Rt. Wor. Grand Secretary
It was countersigned by the District Grand Master of Scotland in Queensland.
The charter contained the names of the twenty-nine petitioners as well as naming the foundation officers. It is well to note that in the 22 weeks between February and July the foundation members worked hard and contributed liberally.
When Lodge Scotia was consecrated, there was £165.0.0 ($330.00) in hand and no liabilities. All the furniture of the lodge, except the Master’s and Wardens’ chairs which came from Lodge Ionic, had already been obtained. The Foundation Master, Wor. Bro. D. C. Samuel presented Lodge Scotia with a volume of the Sacred Law for use on the Altar. This beautiful brass-bound book is still in use today. The Foundation Chaplain, Bro. J. McPhee, presented the lodge with a smaller one for use by the Chaplain. This book was in constant use until Lodge Scotia's Installation on 6th October, 1956, when another volume was presented to the Lodge by Wor. Bro. K. A. Addison in memory of his parents and to mark the first meeting held in the Kedron Masonic Temple. The original Chaplain's Book has since been restored and kept as a treasured memento.